McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams

Kansas Car Insurance Basics

Kansas has strict laws governing the types of auto insurance that all drivers in the state must carry, as well as particular minimum amounts of each type that must be included in that coverage. All KS drivers need to be familiar with these laws, because it is their responsibility to make sure that their automobile insurance coverage meets the requirements. While it may seem like this should be the responsibility of the car insurance companies, it is the individual Kansas motorist who will suffer consequences if they carry improper insurance.

Required Liability Insurance

The first type of vehicle insurance that Kansas requires is liability coverage. In general, this is car insurance that will pay another person's damages if you are the responsible party in an accident. It will not cover your damages, but will help take care of your financial responsibilities in the situation.

Liability insurance comes in two different types, and KS requires drivers to carry both kinds. The first of these is bodily injury coverage. This insurance is most often used to pay the medical expenses of someone injured in an accident that you cause. However, it will also pay the funeral expenses if someone is killed in the accident and will sometimes cover things like wages that are lost due to a serious injury or health care in the home of a person with a serious injury.

Kansas has two separate requirements for bodily injury insurance. They require that your policy offer $25,000 for any one person injured in any accident, but they also require that you carry $50,000 worth of coverage per accident. Thus, if more than one person is injured, there is more money to cover their expenses.

The second type of liability insurance is property damage liability. It will pay the cost to repair or replace any property damaged or destroyed in an accident you cause. Most often, this insurance is used to repair or replace another vehicle, though it can also be applied to damaged buildings, signs, fencing, landscaping, or other property whose damage comes about as a result of the accident. Kansas requires all drivers to carry at least $10,000 worth of this type of coverage.

Note that the amounts attached to each type of insurance are only minimums. Many serious accidents will cost much more than these amounts in medical bills and property damage. Sometimes, the guilty driver can be held responsible for any amounts in excess of what his insurance will pay. If you could not afford to pay in a situation like this, you may want to purchase more coverage for each type of insurance.

Other Required Insurance in Kansas

Kansas stands out in that it requires drivers to carry more than just liability insurance. One of the other types of coverage that the state requires is uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance. If you are in an accident that is deemed the responsibility of another driver and that driver does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to pay for your damages, uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance will step in and cover your costs, up to the amount that you have purchased.

In Kansas, all drivers must carry at least $25,000 of uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance for one person injured in an accident and at least $50,000 of coverage per accident. Generally, this will cover the people who are directly insured as well as any passengers riding in their vehicle at the time of the accident.

Finally, Kansas requires all drivers to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, which is also called No Fault insurance. This coverage will pay for the medical expenses of you and your passengers in case of any accident, regardless of fault or if no fault is determined. Often, PIP/No Fault insurance will pay quicker than another driver's liability policy, which means your medical bills are covered and it's up to the insurance companies, not you, to figure out who should pay what in the end. This can save you a lot of hassle, which you don't want in case of a difficult accident.

KS law has several stipulations about this type of insurance. They require you to carry at least: $4,500 per person for medical expenses, $25 per day for in-home services, $900 per month for one year for lost wages, $4,500 in rehabilitation expenses, and $2,000 for funeral expenses.

As a responsible driver in Kansas, you'll want to make sure you carry each of the above types of automobile insurance in at least the minimum required amounts. This will protect you from facing consequences that come from not having the proper insurance, and will go for toward making sure you and your passengers are save in case of any accident. While you may want to purchase additional vehicle insurance, carry at least these minimums to follow the law.


FREE Quotes, Multiple Insurers

Zip Code