McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams

Kansas Car Insurance Coverage

Knowledge of Kansas auto insurance coverage is important if you're planning to drive in the state, even if you're only planning to live there for a short time. Since laws can change frequently, longtime residents can benefit from reviewing the types of Kansas auto insurance required and available in the state, too, so they can make sure their policies cover everything they need.

Required Automobile Insurance in Kansas

Kansas stands out among the states because it requires more auto insurance coverage than most of them. To drive legally in the state, you must have three kinds of coverage, all in certain minimum amounts.

The first type of automobile insurance that KS requires is liability coverage. This is insurance that will pay another person's damages if they are injured in an accident that you cause or if their property is damaged. Liability coverage comes in two types, both of which the state requires.

Bodily injury liability coverage is the first type of liability insurance that Kansas requires. This is the coverage that pays the medical bills and/or funeral expenses of anyone injured or killed in an accident where you are deemed at-fault. In addition, this insurance will sometimes pay for long-term costs stemming from an injury in a car accident, like lost wages and the cost of in-home rehabilitation or other care.

Property damage liability coverage is the second type of required liability insurance in Kansas. This coverage pays to repair or replace any property damaged in an accident where you are deemed the cause. Usually the property in question is another vehicle, though the insurance will pay for damaged landscaping, signage, buildings, etc.

Kansas also requires Personal Injury Protection coverage. This insurance pays for any injury and/or death related expenses for you and your passengers in case of an accident, regardless of which driver is determined to have caused the accident. Kansas has specific requirements as to the amounts of this insurance that you must carry, including coverage not only for medical expenses but monthly income in case of long-term disability, rehabilitation expenses, and more.

Finally, Kansas requires all drivers in the state to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. This insurance pays if you are injured, killed, or your property is damaged in an accident with a motorist who does not have any insurance or who does not have enough insurance to cover your losses. Since many accidents have damages exceeding the state's minimum required amounts of liability insurance, this coverage can save you a lot of time and money.

Other Auto Insurance in Kansas

Some drivers in Kansas choose to carry more insurance than the state requires. Sometimes, these drivers simply choose to carry the required types of insurance, but in amounts greater than the state's minimums. Other drivers choose to carry additional types of insurance so that they have protection in circumstances above and beyond those mentioned above.

The most common types of additional insurance come under the category of property damage insurance. These types of coverage pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or destroyed under certain circumstances.

Collision insurance is a type of property damage coverage that is popular in Kansas. It covers your damages if your vehicle is damaged or destroyed in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. This means that you can cause an accident and still have your vehicle covered.

Comprehensive insurance is the second type of property damage coverage that many KS residents choose to purchase. This insurance pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or destroyed in some way other than an auto accident. Usually, this coverage will pay for accidental damage, damage caused by an act of God, and damage caused by vandalism or another act of malicious intent. In addition, this insurance will replace your vehicle if it is stolen.

All property damage insurance is based on a deductible, which is an amount that you must pay before the insurance company will pay anything. The higher your deductible, the less you will pay in premiums but the more you will have to pay in case of an accident. It's important to choose a deductible that will not cripple you financially if you ever have to pay it.

Armed with knowledge of the types of auto insurance required and offered in KS, you can make decisions about the best coverage options for you and your family. Take into account not only the vehicles you own and the drivers you want to cover, but also your financial situation and how much money you're willing to risk. Once you've decided on the coverage that's best for you, contact auto insurance companies to get quotes and make your purchase, secure in the knowledge that you're making an informed choice.


FREE Quotes, Multiple Insurers

Zip Code